Hello everybody. Which Belgian cities will we discover today? You’ll find out in a bit.
Brugge is the capital of West Flanders. Its historic center still keeps intact its medieval architecture (has been saved by wars). Since 2000, it is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site, and in 2002, was the European Capital of Culture. Because of its canals, the city is often considered as the Venezia of the North. The canals are called by the inhabitants Reien (in Dutch Grachten). Once were used for the carriage of goods while today they are used exclusively for tourism purposes (we think you can put a nice tour in these canals on the list of things to do absolutely!).
To know more (to eat, what to eat, where to have fun, acculturate …) continue to read.
What you say to start with the typical dishes of our destination? Go!
The Brugge cusine (as well as Antwerp cuisine) is generally influenced by its proximity to the sea, so it will easily find dishes made from fish. Now we will see some examples.
- Fish soup
- Fillets of haranguing, served cold with white beans.
- Soups, in general, are the main dishes and they are prepared in different ways. Some examples are vegetable soups (cabbage soup), but also those with prosciutto and panna or the cream of peas and leek.
- Very famous are also the pies, whose the main ingredient is Brussels sprouts.
- Waterzooi – dish made from fish or chicken with panna and vegetables (such as carrots, celery, potatoes, leek).
- Beer rabbit
- Boudin – pork sausage made from bread, eggs and spices.
- We can’t forget about the mussels with fries.
- Bodding – cake made with stale bread, lard, eggs, sugar and spices (such as cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and dried fruits). It is usually sprinkled on the icing sugar and served with a sweet sauce or whiskey or rum sauce.
- Gracht brood – a typical dessert, baked and covered with caramelized sugar.
- Don’t forget about wafles (also called gaufre) and the delicious chocolate.
- The traditional local beers are Leffe, Grimbergen, Hoegaarden, Affligem. The beer is often the main ingredient in recipes, is widely used in culinary purposes. An example may be the Bruegel mussels.
WHERE TO EAT (RESTAURANTS/CAFE’..)
Speaking of dishes, can we forget where eating these tasty dishes? Of course we can’t!
- Pomperlut – Belgian, European, French cuisine.
- Gruuthuse Hof – typical French, Belgian, European cuisine.
- De Vetten Os – Italian, French, Belgian, Dutch, European cuisine.
- Reliva– traditional French and vegetarian cuisine.
- ‘t Grillkasteeltje – steakhouse, barbecue, typical European, French, Belgian cuisine.
- Books & Brunch – vegetarian, vegan. Good place for a healthy and nutritious breakfast.
- Chez Albert – Belgian cuisine. Here you can taste the famous wafle.
- La Baguette – French cuisine. Here you can enjoy sandwiches, pizza, coffee…
- ‘t Brugs Beertje – pub
- Bauhaus Bar And Restaurant – bar /pub.
- Neuhaus – chocolate shop.
Continue to page 2