Hello everyone. Who is ready for a new adventure in the city of Eindhoven? There are lots of things to explore, so let’s start!
Eindhoven is one of the five largest and most populated city of the Netherlands, located in North Brabant. As Groningen, Eindhoven also has a strong cultural activity. Many are the universities and the students who populate this city. His technological and economic fame is surely due thanks to the Philips company, born in the Netherlands. Of great importance is the sport as well (soccer to be specific because the city is the home of PSV Eindhoven soccer club). Eindhoven has a dense railway network and several municipalities, such as: Son en Breugel, Nuenen, Geldrop-Mierlo, Heeze-Leende, Waalre, Veldhoven, Eersel, Oirschot and Best.
To know more (what to eat, where to eat, where to have fun, things to visit) continue to read.
We have lots of things to see and learn about the city so let’s the exploration begin!
PLACES TO VISIT (MUSEUMS/THEATERS…)
- Sint-Catharinakerk: is a church located in the center of the city, didicated to Saint Catherine of Alexandria. What immediately catches the attention are the two tallest towers, in Gothic architecture, called David- toren and Mary-toren. The church also owns two organs.
- Van Abbemuseum: is a modern and contemporary art museum. It was originally built to host the works of Van Abbe but then it expanded and hosted also those of El Lissitzky, Pablo Picasso, Wassily Kandinsky. It is a very creative and original place. Inside the museum you will find a nice cafe, the Karel 1 Museum Café, considered by visitors as “an oasis of calm” (because of its atmosphere and that includes a lake). Important this is that you are welcome even if you do not plan to visit the museum.
- DAF Museum: this other museum is located in the center of Eindhoven. It focuses on the many types of vehicle, from the usual ones to the less common ones (but also modern and ancient ones). The interior of the museum is presented as a large garage.
- Philips Museum: this museum obviously doesn’t need an introduction, let’s find out what you’ll find inside. There are several sections, including one where you can observe the evolution of the various technological equipment over the years. You will also learn about the history of the company from the starts till today and you can also make a journey into the future. A must for the fans of it and a unique opportunity to share moments and information with the whole family!
- PSV Museum: this museum can only offer a fantastic time for soccer fans and especially for lovers of the PSV team. You will know everything about the history of the team (its birth, its awards, players…) through photos and videos, many curiosities and a look into the backstage. Even children can have fun thanks to the many interactive games. You can decide to continue the tour with a visit of the space usually reserved for players: the entrance to the stadium, the access into the locker room and in the tunnel that will lead you to the camp and other special places, such as post-match press conference. So football fans, it’s not what you have always dreamed of?
- Eindhoven Museum: is an open-air archaeological museum (located in Genneper Parken, south of Eindhoven) it is set mainly in the historical period of the Iron Age and the Middle Ages. This museum looks like a real village where there are so many activities to do (the archery is an example). Many will also be the curiosities that you will discover: the daily life of the inhabitants in ancient times through demonstrations (as they used to cook) and several games. To welcome you there will be people with clothes of that specific time. A place completely original and fascinating to be visited!
- Inkijkmuseum: this place is very different from those we are used to see, and for this very interesting. It is a half hostel and half museum. Now we will explain better. If you decide to not stay there and you just want to give a look at the works of art contained in the building, you can only see them through the windows. If you decide to stay there instead you can enter in the room where there are the works and spend a night like you were in an art gallery. We decided to include it here despite is is not a real museum because someone may like the idea of this strange mix!
Let’s see together the theaters and concert halls in Eindhoven.
Parktheater Eindhoven (theater), Muziekgebouw Frits Philips (the largest and most famous concert hall in the city, more for the classical music), Effenaar (concert hall for all kinds of music).
After the culture, as usual, there is the fun. Yay!
- Speelpark de Splinter: amusement park with swimming pools, playground, picnic area which makes it perfect for children but also for adults. The place offers also a large green space where you can walk and spend pleasant hours in the company of your faithful four-legged friends (a suitable place for them too).
- Het Stadswandelpark: a large park in the center of the city. You will find many sculptures (more than thirty of modern art sculptures), lakes, paths and… lots of green!
- Genneper Parken / Philips van Lenneppark / Philips de Jongh Wandelpark / Henri Dunantpark: other magnificient park in Eindhoven. Have you noticed how many green areas there are in the city?
- If you have time it is worth to give a look to the John F Kennedylaan and admire the fantastic sculpture of the Flying Pins, a giant skittles over a bowling ball in the center. Their color (yellow) is very lively, just to give more light to the road. Another particular sculpture is the Swing (located at Karel de Grotelaan). It consists of a geometric image that changes shape depending on how you move around it. Wow!
- Let’s talk about a space age “sculpture” in the center of Eindhoven (in the septemberplein 18 square): De Blob. The glass building, illuminated by night, with a shop inside. Today it is considered one of the favorite meeting places by the inhabitants. Nearby the building there is also the shopping center De Admiran.
- Evoluon: is a conference center (and restaurant) in spaceship shape. It is considered a symbol of the city. It is really worth to visit, even from a distance, especially at night when it is illuminated.
- You can choose to have a walk in Berenkuil, a space created specifically for graffiti artists. Also perfect for cycling or to go on your skate. There are the inevitable destinations such as: Market square, Stratumseind, Dommelstraat, Wilhelmina square and Plaza Futura (where there are two movie theaters the Servicebioscoop Zien and the Pathé Eindhoven). It is a square frequented by the young and also the place where there are often transmitted outdoor movies.
- De Tongelreep Swimming Paradise: as the name suggests, is a paradise of swimming pools. An indoors place where you will find a lot of water games and activities (aerobics, sub lessons…). The fun is guaranteed!
- Escape Room Eindhoven
- Feelgood Market: outdoor market located in Klokgebouw.
- Area 51 Skatepark: track where you can freely enjoy your skateboard.
- IJssportcentrum Eindhoven: wide track for skating.
Many and various festivals are held in the city, among them, there are: Carnival (held in February), koningsdag (we talked about this event exploring Den Haag, do you remember?), National Day (in April), music festivals and so on.
Eindhoven has a very lively nightlife. As always, the most popular meeting places are the main squares (the ones we have seen before: Dommelstraat, Wilhelmina …) as full of bars of every kind. Eindhoven has a red light district located in Baekelandplein.
Now let’s see some locals.
- Little One Bar: cafè.
- M2: dance cafè.
- Café Thomas: disco.
- Fifties B.V. : disco.
- Cafe The Jack: cafè with live music.
- De Bierprofessor: bar.
- Poolcafé Balls: night club.
- Nightingale Eindhoven: night club.
- Club Djam: disco.
- Holland Casino Eindhoven
- The rex snooker and pool club Eindhoven: game room (billiards, karaoke..).
Below we will list the hotels that you can find in Eindhoven.
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?iata=EIN&aid=960457 – hotels next to the airport.
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?city=-2144027&aid=960457 – hotels in the city.
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?district=223&aid=960457 – hotels in the city center.
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?district=225&aid=960457 – hotels next to the Stratum district in Eindhoven
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?district=219&aid=960457 – hotels next to the Strijp district in Eindhoven
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?landmark=428&aid=960457 – hotels next to the station.
Continue to page 2 to find the typical dishes and restaurants of the city.