Hello everybody. A new week begins and a new adventure as well. So let’s go!
Gent (Ghent), cities of Belgium and the capital state of East Flanders, has a rich history, an important rail network and a beautiful harbor. The city is located next to Lys and Scheldt rivers that create a link with the North Sea. It is spoken, in addition to the official language, “Gantois” (the most typical dialect in Belgium) dialect.
To know more (to eat, what to eat, where to have fun, acculturate …) continue to read.
Gent is considered the gastronomic capital of Flanders, we bet that you are curious to discover its typical dishes, isn’t it? So, let’s start now!
- Gentse Waterzooi – for those who read Brugge, already knows this dish, for those who didn’t read the previous post now we will say what it is. It is a dish made from fish or chicken with panna, greens and vegetables (such as carrots, celery, potatoes, leek).
- Chicon au gratin – endive gratin.
- Gent Mustard – with slightly spicy flavor.
- Cuberdons (the “noses” of Gent) – candies stuffed by a creamy raspberry juice. They can be found at the stand in the form of wagon in Groetenmarkt. Attention please, you can found these candies only in this city, so if you want to taste them, you do have to make a trip to Gent.
- We can’t forget, of course, the chocolate pralines.
- RoomeR – cocktail prepared with elder flowers.
- Duvel – typical Belgian beer.
WHERE TO EAT (RESTAURANTS/CAFE’..)
Any vegetarian among us? Because we are going to give you a nice announcement. In Gent there is the initiative of Donderdag Veggiedag, in other words, vegetarian Thursday!! After this good news, let’s see where we can enjoy a good meal.
- Avalon – family run local, it’s very popular. It is located in front of the castle of the Count of Flanders, the Gravensteen.
- De Warempel – this restaurant offers a wide choice among dagschotels vegetarians or fish and vegan desserts. Located next to the Central Belfortstraat.
- De Panda – the oldest vegetarian restaurant in Ghent. It overlooks a canal in Oudburg.
- The House of Eliott – local cuisine.
- Oak Restaurant – French,European cusine.
- Du Progres – French, Belgian, European cuisine.
- Gillis – French, Belgian, European cusine, steakhouse.
- Lkkr gent – cafè.
- Chocolato gent – cafè.
Continue to page 2