Hello everybody. Today we move to Wallonia (one of the three regions of Belgium) are ready to learn something about the city? So, let’s start right now.
Namur is the capital of Wallonia and it is located next to Meuse and Sambre rivers. Famous for its University and for being an important industrial and commercial center. The language spoken is French. The city also houses the Walloon Parliament.
To know more (to eat, what to eat, where to have fun, acculturate …) continue to read.
Without waste a minute, let’s see the typical dishes of the place.
- Cougnou (also known as bread of Jesus) is a sweet bread, eaten especially during the Christmas season.
- Sirop de Liège – molasses, apple and pear or other fruits. It’s eaten mainly on bread, on gaufre (waffle) or it can be eaten with cheese, especially the Herve cheese.
- Gaufre de Liège – are the famous waffles. They can be found almost everywhere, being the waffles very popular in Belgium.
- Ardenne ham
- Then we have fries and fish (food that we have seen in most of Belgium’s cities like Gent, Antwerp and Brugge).
- The strawberry – we can say that it is the symbol Namur. This is because, thanks to the favorable climate and its great breadth of fields, cultivated in Wépion, a village at the city limits. It’s also known for a famous beer, The Wépionnaise, a special beer because it is made with strawberries.
- Chimay, Orval ,Rochefort, Jupiler – beers.
- Maitrank – wine.
WHERE TO EAT (RESTAURANTS/CAFE’..)
Let’s see bars, restaurants, pubs where you can have a good meal.
- L’air du temps – French and contemporary cusine.
- Attablez-vous – French cuisine.
- Agathopede – French, contemporary cuisine.
- Chateau de Namur L’Ermitage – French cuisine.
- VinoVino – Wine Bar.
- La Maison des Desserts – cafè.
- Chez Chen Wepion – restaurant on the river. Chinese, Asian cuisine.
- Les Cup’inn – bar. Perfect for a good breakfast.
- L’Huile sur le Feu – Italian cuisine.
- LE PATANTHROPE – French, International, Mediterranean, Fusion cuisine.
- Wine and More by Agathopède – pub with French, Belgian, European cuisine.
- Bienvenue Chez Vous – French, contemporary cusine.
Have you noticed that there are lots of French restaurants even if we are Belgium? We can consider Namur a French city located in Wallonia.
PLACES TO VISIT(MUSEUMS/THEATERS..)
All careful, we are going to visit the city. Let’s go!
- St Aubin’s Cathedral– the only cathedral in Belgium in late Baroque style. It is considered Wallonia’s Major Heritage.
- Tour Saint-Jacques – a historic bell tower which is now part of the UNESCO heritage.
- Couvent des Soeurs de Notre-Dame – religious institute of religious sisters that provides education of the poor. Inside there are the Mosan art masterpieces (a kind of regional art) by Hugo d’Oignies.
- Musée Felicien Rops – museum entirely dedicated to the painter Felicien Rops (friend of the famous artists as Verlaine and Baudelaire) was born in this city.
- Musée Africain – museum dedicated to African culture and art. Many and varied are the collections in the museum, such as musical instruments, weapons, pottery…
- Musée archéologique de Namur – museum that houses lots of archaeological collections from prehistory to the most recent historical period.
- Musée des Arts Anciens – museum with medieval and Renaissance collections (sculptures, paintings, jewelery…)
- Musée de la Fraise et Promotion du Pays de Wepion – museum dedicated to the 20 species of the region’s fruit and its 15 varieties of strawberries (we talked about it above, when we analyzed the typical dishes).
Now we will also mention two beautiful places that are near Namur.
- Maredsous Abbey – Benedictine Monastery, located precisely in Denée. The monastery is well known for its beauty but also for the production of Maredsous cheese.
- Annevoie Castle – a beautiful castle located in Anhée, in the province of Namur.
The most important theater of the city is Le Théâtre de Namur.
What do you say to spend some pleasant hours?? Come on!
- The citadel of Namur – is a fortress and center of attraction for tourists around the world. The citadel is located near the Sambre and Meuse rivers. This area is considered the most important heritage of Wallonia. You can also opt for a nice boat tour on the river.
- Casino of Namur
- Eldorado – cinema.
- Aux 3D Namur – Board Game Cafe – a center where you can play with lots of society games.
- Parc Attractif Reine Fabiola – funfair for children.
- EnigmaLock – escape game.
- The Royal Snail Hotel Wellness Center – spa center.
- You can also choose to do an amazing tour around the city and discover the most hidden places.
- If you are there on the third Sunday in September, you can attend the annual Combat de l’Echasse d’Or, it is a medieval-style duel an opportunity to relive that precise historical moment. Namur is also the location of many festivals, such as Festival of French-Speaking Film o Nam’in’Jazz o ancora Verdur Rock.
- Not so away from Namur, you can visit the castle and gardens of Freyr sur Meuse. Here you can have a break of total pleasure, thanks to the sight of these beautiful gardens but you can also lose yourself (metaphorically speaking!) in a vast and beautiful labyrinth.
- Giardini di Annevoie – located between Namur and Dinant, here you can enjoy the sight of the most beautiful gardens in Europe. Waterfalls, fountains, flowers and much more. A perfect blend of style and elegance.
If after all this you aren’t tired, here is where you can spend a fun evening.
- L’havana – disco.
- Le Chapitre – bar.
- L’Acoustique – cafè with live music.
- Le Caprice d’Ambiance – nightclub.
- L’Antidote Café – beer bar, cocktail bar.
- La Cuve à Bière – dance bar.
Even today our tour to the city of Namur is over but as always stay tuned to find out where we’ll be headed next time.
Let us know your opinions about this place. If you liked it or not, if you have been or are you going to go? What did you like least and what more? We are curious to read your opinions.
A kiss big to everyone.