Hello everyone. Before presenting this popular and largest city (get ready that we have lots of things to see and to do!) we have to say that this will be the last city that we will explore in the Netherlands because after this we will venture into another nation. Having said that, we can tell you that today’s city is Rotterdam. Ready to know something about it? So let’s start!
Rotterdam is a city in the south of Holland. It has the largest port of Europe situated on the banks of the Nieuwe Maas river. Of great importance here is the economy culture (for its history, its monuments and its Erasmus University) and sport. It is a city that has much to offer and what makes it special is its modernity and the architecture of its buildings.
To know more ( what to eat, where to eat, where to have fun, things to visit…) continue to read.
Culture, as already said, si very present so let’s begin our journey from this!
PLACES TO VISIT (MUSEUMS/THEATERS..)
- Grote of Sint-Laurenskerk: is a calvinist church located in the center of the city. It is the only remaining building from the medieval period. Beyond the magnificent paintings, the church (or better its tower) has a carillon with about forty bells.
- Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen: is one of the main museums of Rotterdam. Its collections include works of mediaval and modern art (such as those of Brueghel and Salvador Dalí, just to give two examples).
- Kunsthal: is an art museum. Its collections are not permanent but only temporary. However it has a wide range of exhibitions of contemporary art. The museum is located near the museum that we saw before (Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen).
- Nederlands Fotomuseum: is a museum focused mainly on photography. The collections in the museum consist of various historical, social and cultural images from the twentieth century. It will also be possible to watch some movies that will tell you the history of Holland. The building is located in Wilhelminakade.
- Het Wereldmuseum: is an ethnic museum of the culture of the present and the past. Among the different cultures you will find: Asia, Oceania, Africa and the Americas. A truly interesting mix!
- Witte de With Center for Contemporary Art: is a contemporary art center. Through its exhibits the center explores the developments of contemporary art from around the world. Among the artists we can find: Daniel Buren, Tacita Dean, Angela Bulloch.
- Chabot Museum: is a museum dedicated to the painter and sculptor Hendrik Chabot. The building is located in the Museumpark. The exterior is very special, has the air of being a modern white villa.
- Het Maritiem Museum: Het Maritiem Museum: it is a naval museum in the center of Rotterdam. You will find many collections of historic ships (models, charts…) and everything you need to know about this sector (we already know of the great maritime power that Rotterdam has, isn’t it). It also has a large library. The museum is connected to another museum, the Havenmuseum that will give you the opportunity to admire and to enter into the different ships located in the port (one in particular is the HNLMS Buffel). In the evening the lights creates a magical atmosphere (also because of the beautiful lighthouse).
- Netherlands Architecture Institute (NAI): is a center dedicated to architecture where there are kept the archives about the history of Dutch architecture. The center in addition to the museum includes a library and a cafe. Near the center there is the Sonneveld House Museum. It is about a house-museum in Nieuwe Bouwen style (it is a radical innovation in the sector of architecture). You can visit the interior and discover the different rooms and their furnishings.
- Natuurhistorisch Museum Rotterdam: it is a natural history museum in Rotterdam. Many and outstanding are the fossils here. The museum includes a shop and a library.
Let’s see the theaters that the city has to offers.
Nieuwe Luxor Theater, Rotterdamse Schouwburg, Oude Luxor Theater.
There are also De Doelen that is a concert hall for classical music and Rotown concert hall for all kinds of music and in the end AHOY, one of the largest halls for indoor events in the Netherlands.
There are a lot of fun and amazing things to do in Rotterdam. Ready for this new adventure??
- The cubic houses are a feature of Rotterdam. It is about thirty homes located in Blaak district (next to the old port). They are obviously all inhabited houses but don’t worry because one of them is not. We’re talking about Kijk-Kubus house-museum, open to visitors. There is also the possibility to spend a night in one of these houses because some of the are hostels as well. What do you say? Do you like this idea? Surely it would be a very unusual experience!
- Markthal: lovers of markets and not, this place will surely leave you speechless. This is an indoor market held in a majestic and colorful building. The building has some apartments and offices too. A thoroughly modern and original place
- Rotterdam Centraal Station: a quite large station but well organized and efficient. It is flanked by some skyscrapers.
- Diergaarde Blijdorpz: the magnificent zoo in Rotterdam. The amount of fauna and flora is really wide. There are so many animals there (komodo dragon, wolf…) and also many plants that make the atmosphere even more beautiful. In fact inside the zoo there is a botanical garden, a huge aquarium, waterfalls… it will be like to enter into another world!
- Museumpark is the Rotterdam urban park located next to some museums such as: Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, Chabot Museum, Kunsthal, Rotterdam Natuurhistorisch Museum (all those we’ve seen before). In the park you will find some fountains and sculptures.
- Het Park (o Het Park bij de Euromast): it is another famous park located in Rotterdam near Euromast (which we’ll see later). Even here there are beautiful gardens, lakes and and lots of green areas (in fact, from the top, it seems to remember the Central Park thanks to its immense green space and the many trees that fill the park).
- Erasmusbrug: it is the famous bridge located on the Nieuwe Maas river that connects the historic city center to the new Kop van Zuid district. It is considered the symbol of the city and is called “De Zwaan” (the Swan) because of its shape that recalls the resemblance of this animal. Its uniqueness is its chromatic aspect. By day the bridge seems to blend with the color of the sky, while at night the bridge is illuminated by a white and bright lights that enhances its beauty. If you have the opportunity go there and enjoy the show.
- Euromast: is a tower located next to the port and it is open to visitors. The building also houses a restaurant. Needless to say that the view from the top is spectacular.
- De Rotterdam: is a building, or better a skyscraper, located in Wilhelminapier. The complex is considered the largest of the Netherlands (certainly not an ideal place for those who suffer of vertigo!). It has some apartments, offices, but also a hotel. Some cafés and restaurants as well.
- De Rotterdam Steam Ship: also this time we speak of a ship but this is a special one. It is a former cruise ship. You can come and visit the inside, but you can also enjoy a dinner or just a drink over it. Ready for a surprise? You can spend the night on the ship, in one of the rooms used as hotel. Great! (here is the link http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?landmark=261082&aid=960457)
- Arboretum Trompenburg: botanical garden. It will seem to be in a garden of a private house!
- Miniworld Rotterdam: miniature city. A very fun place especially for the kids and to give a look from above and to understand how to orient yourself in the city.
- Theme Park Plaswijckpark: this theme park is a space dedicated to children, where they can really have fun with the different games thet you fill fin there.
- Here are for you the main streets of the city where you can enjoy pleasant walks: Old Harbour with beautiful buildings and many cafés. Witte de Withstraat, a beautiful tree-lined street surrounded by shops and cafés. Delfshaven, the oldest part of the city (a little escape from modernity of Rotterdam) where you can admire a fantastic mill. Veerhaven and Oude Binnenweg other two beautiful streets and in the end Kop van Zuid, the most modern part of Rotterdam. Among the streets for shopping there are: Lijnbaan, Coolsingel, Weena, Zuidplein, Alexandrium and Beurstraverse commonly called ‘Koopgoot’. If you go at Plein Street you will see the famous war memorial called “The Destroyed City”.
- Fly Over Holland Sightseeing Flight Tours: a tour over the city. In addition to this, as always, they are organized several tours (by bike, boat rides…). You can have the amazing experience to take the Water Taxi, that will take you from one street to another (surely with this method there will be no traffic problems!).
There are many festivals that take place in the city, among them there are: the International Film Festival Rotterdam (held in January), summer festivals in Rotterdam (held from June to September), days of the “port in the world” (held in September).
Right here the nightlife is very present and in fact now we will see some locals and the places where to spend a nice evening.
- Club OQ: night club.
- Nachtclub Cinderella: night club.
- Club Empire: night club.
- TOFFLER: night club.
- De Unie: cafè.
- Club-podium BIRD: jazz club.
- Paddy Murphy’s Irish Pub
- Lounge Café de Pacha
Among the most populated streets in the evening we can find: the Nieuwe Binnenweg, Oude Haven, Westelijk Handelsterrein. There are a wide range of bars and locals scattered everywhere in a city where the nightlife is very lively.
And after so much movement we can enjoy some good dishes.
- Kapsalon: even this dish is of Turkish origin, it can be considered a typical Rotterdam food. The Kapsalon is often served in an aluminum container and consists of a series of alternating layers of fries and fried meat of lamb. To all this is added the sambal (spicy sauce), a garlic sauce, melted cheese and lettuce.
- In a city where the port and the river are the main things, could miss some dishes made of fish ?! Of course not. The Hollandse Nieuwe is an example. It consists of raw herring served with raw onions.
- Bagel: is a leavened dough, donut-shaped, that is boiled and then baked. It can be eaten as it is and filled as you prefer.
- Lemon Meringue Pie: is a cake made of short pastry and stuffed with lemon and garnished with a surface made of meringue crust.
- A very popular drink in Rotterdam is the mint tea. Simple but delicious!
WHERE TO EAT (RESTAURANTS/CAFE’..)
Now we are ready to discover some good restaurants.
- Zeezout: Dutch, European, French, Contemporary and gluten free cuisine.
- Fjord Eat & Drink: French, Dutch, Mediterranean, European, International and gluten free cuisine.
- Umami by Han Rotterdam: French, Chinese, Japanese, Asian, Thai and fusion cuisine.
- Ter Marsch & Co: bar with American and European cuisine.
- Guliano: Italian, European, vegetarian and gluten free cuisine.
- Admiraliteit: bar with European, Dutch, International and gluten free cuisine.
- Restaurant Joelia by Mario Ridder: French, European, International and gluten free cuisine.
- Tante Nel: fast food with Dutch cuisine.
- Restaurant l’Entrecote: French cuisine.
- Tribestlife Rawfood Kitchen
- Café Rotterdam
- Panini: Italian cuisine (are sold sandwiches mainly).
It must be said that all that we have shown here seems to be divided into several areas distant from each other (because the city is really large) but is not like this. Each of these zones are very close to each other. You don’t have to walk kilometers and kilometers to visit the entire city, you just have to organize your time and you’re done!
Unfortunately today we have to greet not only Rotterdam but also the rest of the Netherlands. Together we discovered this great nation that made us dream with its magnificent places (Amsterdam, Alkmaar, Lelystad…)
Stay tuned because a new adventure is waiting for us somewhere in the world. Who guess where we are headed?
Let us know your opinions about this place. If you liked it or not, if you have been or are you going to go? What did you like least and what more? We are curious to read your opinions.
A big kiss to everyone.
Below we will list the hotels that you can find in Rotterdam.
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?iata=RTM&aid=960457 – hotels next to the airport.
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?city=-2152403&aid=960457 – hotels in the city.
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?district=1135&aid=960457 – hotel next to the Stadscentrum district.
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?district=1136&aid=960457 – hotels next to the Delfshaven district.
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?landmark=571&aid=960457 – hotel next to the central station.