Hi and welcome back to each one of you our adventurous companions, how are you? Have you got enough energy to face another fantastic journey? Yes, there is time to rest but not today because we are heading to another wonderful island of Spain (we will continue in this direction!). The destination in question is Santa Cruz de Tenerife, let’s introduce it.
Santa Cruz de Tenerife is the main city of the Tenerife island (which we will partially explore today) and was the only capital of the Canaries until it later had to share the role with Las Palmas. The city has the largest port in Spain which consequently makes it a major commercial and economic center. Also Santa Cruz de Tenerife is located near the town of San Cristóbal de La Laguna, that with it forms the largest urban area in the Canaries. The city has many traditions and stories to tell even through its famous festivals, among the most famous there are: Carnival of Santa Cruz de Tenerife which is considered one of the largest in the world and attracts millions of tourists each year (and you can imagine why!), the other is the Tenerife International Film Music Festival; the building used for major events such as the two previously mentioned is the Centro Internacional de Ferias y Congresos de Tenerife.
According to the British newspaper “The Guardian” Santa Cruz de Tenerife is on the list of the five best places in the world where to live… ah we already like this island!
To know more (what to eat, where to eat, where to have fun, things to visit…) continue to read.
Like the previous islands, this one also has many beautiful cultural places (sometimes hidden) to be discovered and admired. It’s time, let’s start the tour.
PLACES TO VISIT (MUSEUMS/THEATERS..)
Auditorio de Tenerife
- Iglesia Matriz de la Concepción: it is the most important church in the city, together with the magnificent Cathedral of San Cristóbal de La Laguna in Tenerife, as it is the only church in the Canary Islands with five naves and holds so many historical relics venerated by the city.
- Museo de la Naturaleza y el Hombre: it is one of the most important museums in Spain and owns the archaeological remains of the prehistory of Tenerife and of all the rest of the Canarian archipelago. Of great importance and even an omnipresent figures are the mummies anyway the building also houses Egyptian ceramics, fossils of prehistoric animals (as lizard and giant tortoise). The museum is located in the center of the city (an extra motivation to go there!).
- Museo Histórico Militar de Canarias: a military museum divided into two areas: an external one with various means of transport and an interior part with a collection of weapons, uniforms, many stories told and underpasses. Each room is divided into themes. To welcome you there will be soldiers on duty. If you are a fan of all this you will not be disappointed by this fantastic museum! The other military-themed museum is the Palacio de la Capitanía General de Canarias. There are so many stories, collections and surprises that you will find in this interesting place.
- TEA Tenerife Espacio de las Artes: it is a museum of contemporary art. The external structure is very modern and beautiful. Entering you will see the huge space made available for temporary events and not, then the space dedicated to the culture with paintings by local artists. The building also houses a café and a vast library adorned with lots of light bulbs hanging from wires. We are sure that the content and the internal appearance, which already announces the external architecture, will make you fall in love. A cultural moment worth living.
- Castillo de San Cristóbal: the castle of San Cristóbal was for years the defensive fortress of the city. The unfinished structure has not remained intact but the remains are all original. The castle through its underground tunnel, full of ruins found, serves as a museum.
- Correíllo La Palma: it is an historic ship that will take you on a journey first of all in the maritime history that allowed it to become an important monument and then the rest of the history around it. All this can be done by exploring the ship from inside… What a great experience!
- Auditorio de Tenerife: it is the famous auditorium of Tenerife, located in the south of Puerto de Santa Cruz de Tenerife. The architecture is more than magnificent and it reminds us a little bit the Sydney Opera House. The interior is even more beautiful, it is vast, beyond the rooms there is a cafeteria and a shop. The outside has two terraces overlooking the sea. This is a point of pride and an important place for the inhabitants that certainly doesn’t pass unnoticed even to the tourists, especially at night (think that it was visited by the former president of the United States of America Bill Clinton). A true institution!
- Castillo de San Juan Bautista also known as “castillo negro”: it was a defensive fortress of the city and it is located just behind the Auditorio de Tenerife. If you find yourself there, have a visit even if the interior is not open to visitors, it is still an important piece of the city’s history and is a perfect place to take some pictures with a panoramic view of the ocean!
- Circulo de Bellas Artes de Tenerife: is a gallery of modern and contemporary art in the city center, specifically in calle Castillo. The facade is very particular, it is ancient but at the same time it has that modern touch given by the colorful façade. It is a place that offers very interesting ideas and works of art by emerging and confirmed artists of the island.
There are two important theaters on the island: Teatro Guimerá and Teatro Victoria.
Circulo de Bellas Artes de Tenerife
Torres de Santa Cruz
We continue our tour and open the door to the entertainment.
- Torres de Santa Cruz: these are two skyscrapers the tallest buildings of the city and of the Canary Islands (there aren’t many of them here) and they are located right in the center of the city, near the Auditorio de Tenerife and so it is probable that you will see them during your walk. The two towers are considered a symbol of the city as emblems of the economic development of the Canary Islands giving the place an even more modern and beautiful to see. However these buildings despite the identical appearance weren’t built together but years apart.
- Parque García Sanabria: it is a city park, one of the largest, known mainly for its large collection of sculptures and its thick and varied vegetation. The most famous parts are: the central fountain, the underpass of plants and the Swiss flower clock. Beautiful!
- Palmetum Santa Cruz Jardín Botanico: a former landfill, today the green lung of the city in which to take refuge to admire the many tropical plants and rest from the chaos of the city. An interesting attraction that contains the largest collection of palm trees in Europe and where you can enjoy a beautiful view of the ocean and of the auditorio… Such a great place!
- Mirador de Jardina: what is this place!! It is a breathtaking panoramic view along the way. Go there and come back because it is impossible to remain indifferent in front of all that beauty.
- Parque Rural de Anaga: a protected area for a fantastic journey into the unspoiled nature of Tenerife. In this hill everything is in its natural state which makes it perfect for excursions. Also this panorama over the mountains and the lakes is something amazing. To visit without a doubt!
- Sendero de los Sentidos: now you have understood that here nature reigns supreme and here is another beautiful place to visit. For those who want to make an excursion or simply a walk in an enchanted forest this is the perfect place. There are three paths: one that is very short and quiet that everyone can do and the other two are more challenging, suitable for those who want to experience an adventure. The forest is about 30 minutes drive from the center of Santa Cruz. Go there but first rent a car and… A sweater!
- After this immersion in nature we return to the center of the city and visit the Puerto de Santa Cruz de Tenerife: commercial and tourist port, one of the three largest ports in the world as it is here that are focused many maritime lines that connect the main ports of Europe, Africa and America. At the side of the pier the “farola del mar”, a lighthouse. It is a very characteristic scenario to be admired.
- Parque de La Granja: it is a vast city park designated for sport (with fields and spaces also for skaters), to play, walk and admire the beautiful surrounding flora… A place that satisfies the needs of everyone, perfect right?
- Exploring the city we can still meet: Plaza de España, the central square of the city in the center where is located a large artificial fountain, next to the Plaza de la Candelaria. Rambla of General Franco, a beautiful tree-lined avenue. Weyler Square, a typical square with a fountain and a statue in the middle. Plaza de Los Patos and Plaza del Príncipe are two other beautiful squares of the city. Alameda of the Duque de Santa Elena is a replica of an ancient gate, great to know a bit of history and why not, take some pictures! El Castillo Street the main shopping street.
- Other activities you can do are the many tours that the city offers: Get Holiday Tour, Feel Tenerife, Montes de Tenerife, Mas de Treinta Tenerife (maritime tour), Teide by Night (night tour); while Bubble Soccer Tenerife is a fun game to do in company but for those who are looking for something calmer (and refreshing!) there is the Parque Marítimo César Manrique, a swimming pool surrounded by the ocean and right next to the auditorio.
- Now let’s talk about the beaches that of course can’t miss on an island: Playa de las Teresitas, Playa de la Pinta, Playa de Las Gaviotas, one more beautiful than the other.
- The attractions in the city of Santa Cruz are over, anyway if you have time and want to expand your trip to the island of Tenerife we would suggest you some nice places to visit: Sendero El Bosque Encantado, Teide (volcano), La Laguna (city ), Playa de las Teresitas, Los Gigantes, Costa Adeje (to have fun), Icod de los Vinos (famous umbrella-shaped tree)….
Parque García Sanabria
The nightlife in Santa Cruz de Tenerife takes place almost entirely in the Via de La Noria but it is not the only place, there is also the avenida di Anaga and the famous El Callejón, located in a pedestrian area near Las Ramblas.
Here are some of the most famous places where you can have lots of fun:
- Ninfas Club Tenerife: nightclub.
- Anden Bar
- Elbembe: nightclub.
- El Local: nightclub.
- Las Salinas Chiringuito: bar on the beach.
- Lava Lounge Bar Tenerife
- Arena Negra: nightclub.
Parque García Sanabria
We certainly can’t leave the island if we didn’t known the typical foods of the island.
- Le papas arrugadas: it is a typical dish made up of some varieties of potatoes of the Islands, including the papa bonita. These are used as a single dish, aperitif, main course or as a tapa, such a versatile dish. The typical mojo sauce is added to it (do you remember this sauce?). In the past, potatoes were cooked in sea water.
- Caldo de millo: it is a broth made with corn (millo) chickpeas and garlic. What a great combo!!
- Conejo en salmorejo: now a very popular dish on the island and precisely the marinated rabbit.
- Frangollo: it is a sweet made with milk, corn flour, lemon, sugar, butter, almonds, and cinnamon. So tasty!
- Bienmesabe: it is a typical dessert made with eggs, sugar, almonds, honey (from Tenerife DOC) and grated lemon peel.
- If you want to accompany all these typical dishes with an alcoholic drink (but only if you are an adult eh!) do it with a glass of Tacoronte Acentejo, typical red wine of the island or with a Dorada, the local beer.
WHERE TO EAT (RESTAURANTS/CAFE’..)
But we can’t even leave the island without having tasted the just known typical dishes eheh!
- La Brujula: Mediterranean, Italian, European, Spanish, contemporary, vegetarian cuisine, vegan options, gluten-free menu options.
- Taberna Ramon: Mediterranean cuisine, Spanish, vegetarian, vegan options, gluten-free menu options.
- Garimbar Calle Unamuno 2: American, Spanish, vegetarian cuisine, gluten-free menu options.
- El Porron Tasca Andaluza: Mediterranean, Spanish, European, vegetarian cuisine, vegan options, gluten-free menu options.
- Picatostes: Mediterranean, European, Spanish, vegetarian cuisine, vegan options, gluten-free menu options.
- Restaurante Los Pinchitos: Mediterranean, European, Spanish cuisine, gluten-free menu options.
- Tasca De la Mar el Mero: Italian, Mediterranean, European and Spanish cuisine.
- Restaurante Cafeteria Bahia: Spanish cuisine.
- Restaurante Pepin: Mediterranean, Spanish cuisine.
- El dulce angolo de rositas: Italian, Spanish cuisine.
- Cortxo Gastrobar: Mediterranean, European, Spanish and vegetarian cuisine.
- El Mirador Benijo: Mediterranean, Spanish and vegetarian cuisine.
- Nassau Gastroclub: Mediterranean, European, Spanish, vegetarian cuisine, vegan options.
Now it’s really time to say goodbye to the island and leave for another adventure into a new Spanish destination. Ready? In the meantime let us know your opinions about this place. If you liked it or not, if you’ve been there or you’re going to go there? What you liked the most or least? We’re curious to read your opinions.
A big kiss to everyone.
Below we will list the accommodations that you can find in Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?iata=TFS&aid=960457&no_rooms=1&group_adults=1 – accommodation near Tenerife Sur.
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?city=-401686&aid=960457&no_rooms=1&group_adults=1 – accommodation in the city.
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?landmark=900065286&aid=960457&no_rooms=1&group_adults=1 – accommodation near Tenerife Trade Fair.