Hello everybody. Today we will visit Arnhem, another town in the Netherlands. Who is with us to begin a new beautiful adventure? Let’s go!
Arnhem (which literally means “home of the eagles”, because of the many eagles that once lived in the hills and forests of Arnhem) is a city located on the Lower Rhine and is the capital of the province of Gelderland. It has also two rivers Nederrijn and Sint-Jansbeek. The city is rich in history and is one of the largest cities in the Netherlands but is also known as the most important city in terms of fashion.
To know more (where to eat, what to eat, where to have fun, acculturate …) continue to read.
We will start from the culture.
PLACES TO VISIT (MUSEUMS/THEATERS..)
- Groote Kerk (St. Eusebius o Eusebiuskerk): is the largest church in the city and of the Netherlands. The tower, however, is not part of the church but it is owned by the municipality. Within it we can find an elevator which allows visitors to travel to the top of the spire and enjoy the magnificent view of the city. But there’s more of this because in the dark crypt (in medieval architecture means a room below the floor of a church) you can observe the different skeletons. We hope you aren’t scared that much because contrary to what you might think, the church is very beautiful and bright and offers many places to explore and many works to be seen, including the statues hanging from the ceiling in honor of military paratroopers.
- Maarten van Rossum: is the town hall. The structure earned the name of the Duivelshuis (Devil’s home) for the satyrs in its Renaissance decorations.
- KEMA Toren: it is the tallest structure in the city. It’s a transmission tower used for radio or for television.
- Nederlands Openluchtmuseum: is a fantastic open-air museum. The museum shows the life and economic and cultural aspects of the Netherlands, in different historical periods, through exhibitions of traditional structures of the country, such as: windmills, carriages, trams and so on. It will be also possible to visit the interior of the exposed buildings. During the visit you will be accompanied by guides dressed in traditional costume. Don’t miss it!
- Museum Bronbeek: museum focuses on the colonial history of the nation.
- Museum Arnhem: is the art museum of the city. This has a garden and two large terraces over the Rhine. It is, in fact, classified as the best museum in the Netherlands.
- Airborne Museum Hartenstein: a museum dedicated to the wars.
The most famous theater of the city is Het Posttheater while Luxor Live is the best-known concert hall.
Lots of fun waits for us and for this..let’s start!
- Koninklijke Burgers’ Zoo: one of the largest zoos in the country that attracts a lot of tourists, ready to get know all the different species of animals that the zoo has, all this in a magnificent setting.
- Park Sonsbeek: a park full of vegetation, trails and beautiful waterfalls.
- De Hoge Veluwe: national park, not so far from the center. This has some known buildings such as the Kröller-Müller Museum (which houses important works by van Gogh, Picasso and of course Helene Kröller-Müller art collection). Another museum is the Museonder, dedicated to the geology and biology of the Veluwe region. Think that this is the first underground museum in the world. Here in the park there is also the St. Hubertus hunting lodge designed by Hendrik Petrus Berlage. For visitors it’s possible the bike sharing that allow you to discover the trails and will make you enjoy the beauty of the park. Keep your eyes open because during your exploration you may see the wonderful wildlife and you might meet deer or wild sheep or foxes, badgers, but also many birds and insects. What else to say.. everything is absolutely worth a visit!
- Cultuurhuis Rozet: cultural center of Arnhem. Here you can attend debates, exhibitions, shows and after you can go outside on the terrace to enjoy the spectacular view. On it you can also organize a lunch (also barbecue) or just drink something
- John Frost Brug: is the bridge of the city, rebuilt after the war because it was destroyed during the conflict. Why this name? Well, the bridge is dedicated to the Frost a paratroopers commander who defended this structure with all its forces during the Second World War.
- Gelredome: the city stadium. It’s situated on Beekstraat, next to City Hall.
- Another place, where probably will go, is the station. It’s really nice, it seems to be a futuristic structure.
- As we have already said, Arnhem is a city famous for the fashion (the city is the home of the famous fashion academy ArtEZ) so you can’t miss the elegant and luxurious boutiques in the streets such as: Musiskwartier, Het Eiland, Kerkstraat, Bentinckstraat, Wielakkerstraat and Zwanenstraat, Modekwartier…. as you can see, the choice is very wide!
- 4CB ballooning the netherlands Arnhem: if you love heights and beautiful landscapes a hot air balloon ride is for you.
- House of Billiards Arnhem
- Pathé Arnhem: cinema.
It’s the time to know where to spend a night of total fun.
- Discotheek Manhattan BV: disco.
- 5th Avenue: night club.
- Aspen Valley: dance cafe.
- Rose’s Lounge
- juicy lucy: pubs where you can go wild with the music.
- Many locals are also located along the banks of the Rhine or in the Korenmarkt.
Want you know some curiosity about the city? Here they are: Arnhem is unique in the Netherlands with its trolleybus system. The main squares of Arnhem have hosted the 2015 edition of the World Street Painting. Last but not the least is that here, in this city, lived the famous Audrey Hepburn (did you know that?).
After all this movement is now the time to have a break with the typical dishes of the city, what do you you say?
The regions and cities in the north of the Netherlands (as Arnhem) having a greater number of rivers so it is very easy to find local dishes based on fresh fish but also the meat, is very present. Now we will see the dishes in detail.
- Gelderse rookworst: smoked sausage with various vegetables. This sausage is also part of the tradition of street food.
- Zuurkool: sauerkraut with smoked sausage (already mentioned before).
- Hutspot (we know it very well): sausages with potatoes, carrots and onions.
- Rye bread: it’s a very famous bread in the city and the region. It is higher in fiber than white bread and is often darker in color and stronger in flavor.
- A very consumed beverage is the Beerenburg (bitter).
WHERE TO EAT (RESTAURANTS/CAFE’..)
We are off to another exploration, the restaurants exploration of course!
- Graave: French and contemporary cuisine.
- Batavia: Asian, Indonesian cusine.
- Mantra: Indian cuisine.
- La Rusticana: Italian and Mediterranean cuisine.
- Bok: French cuisine and barbecue.
- ‘t Amusement: European and Mediterranean cuisine.
- Sugar Hill: international and European cusine.
- Rhodos: Mediterranean, Greek cusine.
- De Steenen Tafel
- De Nieuwe Hommel: cafè and street food.
- Bistro Piaf
There are lots of choises, isn’t it?
This is the end of the adventure in Arnhem..but stay tuned because we are leaving for another amazing destination.
Let us know your opinions about this place. If you liked it or not, if you’ve been there or you’re going to go there? What you liked the most or least? We’re curious to read your opinions.
A big kiss to everyone.
Here for you the hotel where you can lodge during your stay in Arnhem.
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?city=-2140612&aid=960457 – hotel in the city
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?city=-2140612&aid=960457 – hotel next to the city station
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?landmark=359&aid=960457 – hotel next to velperpoort station
4 thoughts on “Arnhem”
Arnhem looks like a really interesting place to visit. The buildings look so pretty.
Yeah! If you go in the Netherlands, Arnhem is a place you have to visit.
Arnhem has real beauty and especially its name meaning is so unique and different, love to visit this place.
Hi, what you say is true! Arnhem is different from the other dutch cities, very beautiful 🙂