Hello and welcome to all dear travelers. Today we are headed to another fantastic Swiss city. Our adventure will be in… Fribourg.
Fribourg is a municipality and capital of the Canton of Fribourg and is located in the Sarine district. It was born in the center of the Nuitonia region and therefore is very close to both Bern (the capital of Switzerland) and Lausanne (which we have already visited). The river that crosses the city is the Sarina which flows under several bridges in the city (which we will have the opportunity to admire). The city is full of medieval buildings that tell a lot of history. But not only that, on a cultural level it is very lively. This is where the University of Friborg is located, which makes the city very popular with young people. It is a bilingual city where mainly French is spoken but also German. In the city there is a great development on an agricultural and industrial level, in particular of luxury food or drinks but also electronics and information technology. Anyway the largest number of workers are active in the service sector. Furthermore, its administrative part is very efficient, just think that each family originating in the place is part of the patrician municipality (public body that manages collective properties) which is responsible for the maintenance of every common good. Like this we end our presentation to get to the heart of our adventure. Are you ready?
To know more ( what to eat, where to eat, where to have fun, things to visit…) continue to read.
As always let’s give space to the culture.
PLACES TO VISIT (MUSEUMS/THEATERS…)
- Cathédrale Saint-Nicolas: is the main Catholic place of worship in the city. Located in the upper part of the city, it dominates what is the Bourg district. Its style is gothic and has a high bell tower. The exterior is adorned with statutes and sculptures, also in the main entrance. Inside there are valuable artistic works (such as a remarkable stone pulpit) and two pipe organs. The stained glass windows are a remarkable example of art nouveau. Its peculiarity is the naturally lit upper part.
Remaining on the subject, not to be missed is the beautiful Hauterive Abbey (surrounded by greenery) with its wonderful cloister and its inestimable value.
- Chapelle de Lorette: the Lorette chapel is located on the hill near the old town of Fribourg Beyond the beautiful religious structure, the view is absolutely breathtaking, you can admire the whole city. An incredible belvedere. Here there is a suggestive walk with a view too.
- Grottes de l’Ermitage de la Madeleine: the caves of the hermitage de la Madeleine have been carved into the rock and overlook the artificial lake of Schiffenen. This was the home of two hermits Jean Dupré and Jean Liecht. This is an amazing environment that is absolutely worth visiting. Among the things you will be able to discover is that there is actual evidence of the existence of a sea in Fribourg about 20 million years ago.
- Musée d’art et d’histoire: this is an art and history museum, now housed in two main buildings (the Hôtel Ratzé and a former slaughterhouse). Both are connected to each other via an underground passage. The museum houses sculptures, paintings, decorative arts, furniture, dating back to the Middle Ages to the present day. In addition, the museum includes a glass processing gallery and a gallery dedicated to the sculptor Adèle d’Affry. Speaking of its architecture, there would be so much to admire, so much its beauty. It looks a lot like a castle with a courtyard. Beautiful and interesting, for what it hosts and for the history of the structure itself.
- If you are passionate about modern art, you can go to the Espace Jean Tinguely – Niki de Saint Phalle. A creative museum born from a couple of artists. There are many collections and in particular their uniqueness and originality. We are sure that its atmosphere will captivate you.
- Musee d’histoire naturelle Fribourg: natural history museum located in a great location near the city center. Suitable for adults and children. The museum houses many fossils but also many mummified animals, such as the particular and huge whale. In addition to this, there are also many species of stuffed birds whose singing can be heard via a button. However all exhibits are detailed, clear and educational. Once you enter, you will see how time will fly.
- Musee Gutenberg Museum: interesting museum dedicated to the evolution of printing, with lots of objects, dating back to the birth of the wooden press (so in the Middle Ages) to today. Evolution is told flawlessly through the help of reconstructions of human models intent on doing the work. The very welcoming museum externally has several floors.
- The Railways Kaeserberg: it is a museum containing a true masterpiece, a model of a railway network with trains and houses, as a contour to complete the background but also other elements of Swiss daily life. Think that the whole thing took 17 years to complete. Not to be missed!
- Werkhof – Espace 1606: a model of the city of Fribourg is located in this cultural space. This is in 3D and faithfully reproduces all the architecture of the city during its past period.
Every detail has been meticulously worked out. Gothic houses, towers, gardens and bastion are depicted to allow visitors to immerse themselves in ancient Fribourg. A unique experience thanks to the result of hard work to highlight the historical and socio-cultural heritage of the ancient village. The cultural space also houses an exhibition space, a multipurpose room and a reception area.
- Across the Screen: movie lover this is for you, this place is definitely what you’ve been waiting for. It is a museum entirely dedicated to the world of films. Here you will discover everything from its making to all its behind-the-scenes secrets. There are several collections and objects, as well as stage clothes often worn by statue.
- Music lovers there is something for you too. SMEM is a Swiss museum of electronic music instruments. There is really a huge collection and an area where you can play rare instruments and even record some of your creations. Plus a lot of history and curiosity. What can we say, let your artistic vein speak and have fun learning!
- Observatoire d’Épendes: is a Swiss astronomical observatory and is also known as the Naef observatory. It has been collaborating with the University of the Canton of Fribourg for some time. Furthermore, the structure has been enlarged and its instrumentation, which has grown over time, now has five main instruments. The observatory is recognized by the Minor Planet Center for the discovery of twenty-three asteroids made between the years 2005 and 2006.
- But that’s not all, we have special museums: the Musée suisse de la machine à coudre et des objets insolites (literally museum of sewing machines and unusual objects) and the Musée de la bière Cardinal (museum dedicated to the most famous beer of the Switzerland).
Among the theaters that we find in Fribourg we have: Théâtre Equilibre, Le Bilboquet, Tour vagabonde. We want to make a special mention for this latest “theater” which is spectacular and magical, very small with a circular shape. So beautiful!
Absolutely not over here! We continue looking for other things to do and admire.
- Fribourg is full of beautiful bridges, so we just have to start the exploration from the Pont de Berne. It is a covered wooden bridge, located precisely in the Quartier de l’Auge. It is one of the oldest bridges in Switzerland. The beauty of the landscape is something wonderful. The river, the mountains, the surrounding structures, all so impressive. Ponte Poya is the longest suspension bridge in Switzerland. The Sarina River flows nearby. This includes three lanes: one for motorized traffic and the others reserved for cyclists and pedestrians. The structure is very nice and modern but also illuminated at night. The view is exceptional (careful if you suffer from vertigo, it is a very high bridge!). Another bridge that runs along the Sarine is the Pont de Zaehringen, which is also worth seeing. Pont du Milieu, road bridge over the Sarine, located in the lower part of the city. This beautiful building is part of the cultural heritage of national importance. We specify that these last bridges mentioned are not high at all, therefore perfect for those suffering from vertigo. Pont de Grandfey is a bridge reserved for the railway line from Bern to Fribourg. But be careful, because its lower part is reserved for the pedestrian crossing. therefore passable without any problem. This bridge, overlooking the river, is also quite high. In any case, very impressive!
- Jardin botanique de l’Université de Fribourg: walking in the botanical garden of the University of Friborg is so relaxing and you also have the opportunity to discover a lot about Swiss nature. Everything is absolutely well-kept and lovingly cared for.
- Naturschutzgebiet Düdinger Möser: plants, flowers, trees, lots of beautiful vegetation and occasionally some fauna typical of the area (such as seven species of amphibians). This wonderful and protected nature reserve aims to preserve what is of value inside, guaranteeing the conservation of this habitat and keeping alive the attractiveness of the area for the public.
- Schiffenensee: the narrow lake of Schiffenen near Düdingen, very similar to a fjord, is one of the favorite excursion destinations for tourists but also for locals. The steep banks offer a magnificent natural glimpse. The lake is the habitat of some species of fish such as the king perch, pike or zander. Near the dam of the lake there is a campsite with a small beach. There are also numerous possibilities to practice water sports, in addition to the many playgrounds that make Lake Schiffenen a perfect excursion destination during hot summer days. Another lake where to spend time is the shore of Lake Neuchâtel. This natural site offers an infinity of water sports activities: pedal boating, windsurfing, water skiing and boat trips. Near the lake there is the most important swamp in Switzerland, the Grande Cariçaie. Another beautiful destination where you can go where there is a lot of local fauna.
- And more, if you are a lover of hiking, you might think about taking special paths that will take you along the Lac de Pérolles. The latter is an artificial lake totally surrounded by greenery.
For another unmissable excursion just a few minutes from Fribourg we find Vallee du Gotteron. The route is full of beautiful trails with streams and lots of wildlife. It is not very tiring but there is still a lot of walking. So for those who feel like it, this is an unmissable place.
- The districts of Fribourg are one more beautiful than the other, among many we find that of Neuveville. This is very picturesque, extending to the well-known funicular. It is in this area that both the German and French languages are spoken. Another beautiful attraction in the Nueveville neighborhood is Les Bains de la Motta. It is a characteristic outdoor swimming pool that offers a wonderful view of Freiburg from below. The very particular thing is its construction, typical of the style of the pools of the last century whose charm is indisputable.
- Continuing, you can opt for a nice excursion to the town of Gruyères or visit the small medieval town of Murten. If you don’t want to do any of this, but want to enjoy some fun in the city, there is always the Madame Irma escape-room, a fun escape game.
- And more, surely you will happen to move around the city and use the Funiculaire Fribourg. A wonderful experience, as the view from up there is wonderful, but not only for this, the noise of its machinery and its particular operation that exploits the water of the city. Go there even if not by chance! Another means that we recommend if you want to visit the city comfortably seated is the tourist train. It will lead you through the historic city center and its picturesque alleys.
The nightlife of Fribourg is animated especially by young people thanks to the presence of the university. Here the fun offers multiple atmospheres for every taste.
In particular, here are some of the places that we find:
- Cabaret Vegas Night Club Fribourg: night club
- Crapule Club: a place specializing in cocktails
- Discotheque Macumba: night club
- Bar Club 99
- Soussol Café Bar Events
Now forks in hand, let’s eat! But first we have to know the typical dishes of Fribourg.
- Cuchaule: it is a brioche bread. It is made with milk, butter and saffron which gives the dough its typical yellow color. The dish is traditionally served with mustard.
- Älplermagronen: this simple and nourishing dish is based on macaroni which will be au gratin in the oven together with cheese (the most used and originally from Fribourg is gruyere), potatoes, cream and onions. The dish is usually accompanied by an apple sauce that gives the dish a singular and particular note. It is a dish appreciated throughout Switzerland that is eaten especially on winter season.
- Zürcher Geschnetzeltes: this is a dish based on veal strips that are cooked together with mushrooms, cream, onions and simmered with white wine. Often the dish is served with potato rösti or rice or pasta. A much loved dish.
- Nusstorte: it is a delicious cake made up of two layers of shortcrust pastry filled with a crunchy filling based on hazelnuts, caramelized sugar and a butter or milk cream. In some recipes there is added honey as well. It is an ancient traditional recipe, really tasty!
- Double crème de Gruyère: in addition to chocolate, another delicious local specialty of the Canton of Fribourg is the meringue with double cream from La Gruyère. A thick and sweet white cream, which is poured over meringues and often served with berries. Wow!
WHERE TO EAT (RESTAURANTS/CAFE’…)
Obviously, without the choice of places we can’t taste the typical dishes. So let’s look for some of them.
- Restaurant des Trois Tours: French, Swiss, European cuisine.
- Café du Gothard: Swiss, European, vegetarian cuisine.
- Boulangerie Saudan: French, Swiss cuisine.
- La Suite: French cuisine.
- Restaurant du Cygne: French, European cuisine.
Like this ends our adventure in Fribourg while the Swiss one has just begun. Continue to follow us to find out what the next destination will be.
Let us know your opinions about this place. If you liked it or not, if you’ve been there or you’re going to go there? What you liked the most or least? We’re curious to read your opinions.
A big kiss to everyone.