We arrived to our destination, so now we can start our exploration of the city of Graz.
Graz is the capital state of Steiermark region (green place, so called because of its surface covered by forests and meadows). The city is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site and was also European Capital of Culture in 2003. The city is situated on the Mur river and is, approximately, 2 hours apart from Vienna. Graz is also a location of many universities.
To know more (to eat, what to eat, where to have fun, acculturate…) read on.
Let’s start with typical foods, they are a lot of foods here (we imagine you’ll be happy!)
- Kürbiscremesuppe – is a pumpkin cream, served with pumpkin seeds or toasted bread and more drops of oil of pumpkin seeds.
- Beans of Spain Styrian – are used to prepare salads and soups. These are also a source of vitamins.
- Seed oil Styrian pumpkin dgp – a load of vitamins and antioxidant properties. It prevents heart disease and is cholesterol-free and rich in essential fatty acids. Not bad, right?
- Volcano ham Styrian – delicately spicy, made with sea salt and various herbs.
- Styrian horseradish – is a herbaceous plant. It is used for the preparation of main dishes, side dishes, or of good spreads or grated on a snack and a good condiment for salads. Rich in vitamin C.
- Apple of Eastern Styria – as all the apples, has antioxidants and reduces the level of cholesterol. It protects against infectious diseases and has many beneficial properties.
- Pera Pöllauer Hirschbirne – has a low level of acidity and is, particularly, good for people with intolerance. And it is rich in potassium, fiber and iron and… it has also a diuretic effect!
WHERE TO EAT(RESTAURANTS/CAFE’..)
- El Gaucho – Steakhouse, barbecue and Austrian, International, European cuisine.
- Der Steirer – German, Irish, Austrian, European cuisine.
- Frankowitsch – Austrian , European cuisine.
- Restaurant Carl – American restaurant 50s style with international cuisine, fusion. A must visit for those who love vintage style.
- Gosser Brau Graz – brewery / pub serving German, Austrian, European cuisine.
- Genussbar Dreizehn – a perfect combination of bar and restaurant, located in the heart of the historical center of the city. Here you will find a wide selection of wines and creative food that will give you a relaxing evening ..ah!
- Promenade – cafè
PLACES TO VISIT(MUSEUMS/THEATERS…)
- Schlossberg – castle situated on the hill in the center of the city. This is the greatest tourist attraction of Graz. The castle is part of the “Clock Tower” (Uhrturm, in Austria) which is the symbol of the city. Next to the tower you can find a bar that has a great view of the city. The clock is visible from every part of the center. The clock is a very special thing, if you look closely, you’ll notice that the hands that mark the minutes are smaller and those of the hours are longer. Here the time ,we can say, takes on a whole new value!
- Landeszeughaus – is a structure of four floors and hosts the world’s largest armory.
- Gemaltes Haus – called “Painted House” for its large number of frescos
- Burg – is a castle with a double staircase that creates an optical illusion. These two separate staircases, on each floor they join, and then split up and then they meet again. Wow!
- Murinsel – artificial platforms is a shell-shaped, built on the river Mura. This offers a terrace and a bar
- Schloss Eggenberg – Baroque castle’s most famous and important of Steiermark. You can visit the great English garden and inside the castle art gallery.
- Lurgrotte – is the largest cave in Austria. A truly magical place!
- Dom – is the cathedral of the city of Graz. And ‘one of the buildings, historically speaking, the most significant of the Austrian culture.
- Österreichisches Freilichtmuseum Stübing – an open air museum, where you can visit old farms in Austria.
- Institute of Archaeology – here there are important and ancient archaeological collections.
- Kunsthaus Graz – center of contemporary art, has an original characteristic,to have a shape that reminnds a bubble.
- Alte Galerie – a beautiful gallery of ancient art.
- Mariatrost basilica – one of the most famous shrines in the region of Styria. Tourists from around the world come to admire this spectacular Basilica. The only flaw? The staircase with 216 steps! But it’s worth it, your efforts will be well rewarded!
- Mausoleum – is a church that bears witness to the passage from the Renaissance to the Baroque.
- Cloister of St. Francis – a real throwback in the past. This cloister is located on a picturesque square with a garden completely covered by roses. A place of peace and silence!
- Botanical garden – the kingdom of plants from various parts of the region. A place to be studied.
We couldn’t certainly miss the most important theaters of the city.
Opera, MUMUTH – Haus fur Musik und Musiktheater (modern Theatre), Congress Graz (theater in the old style), Youth Theatre (Next Liberty).
And also today, the space dedicated to the fun has arrived, yeees!
- Exit The Room – escape game.
- Cineplexx – if you desire to watch a nice fim this is the right place, it is one of the largest and most modern cinema of the place.
- Graz Fairytale Express – for the children (we try to please everyone) here is a train that will take you on a tunnel full of scenes of old stories and fables. A really nice place and an opportunity to return children again!
- Auster Sportbad – lovers of water, of the sun and summer, are you there? Here for you a beautiful swimming pool with trampoline and baby swimming pool (separated by glass). But there is also, pool with massaging water jets, sauna and a outdoor pool, they are just waiting for you!
- Golf club and minigolf
- Schlossberg funicular – will take you up on the hill of Graz, offering breathtaking landscape.
- Stadtpark – a green island. Ah, if you want to make friends with beautiful squirrels, get some chesnuts .
- Burggarten – a picturesque park, perfect for an outdoor picnic
- Augartenpark – is one of the most popular parks in Graz. A meeting place for many young people and a perfect place for cyclists.
- Hilmteich and Leechwald – a romantic boat ride, a picnic or a walk along the paths to the discovery of the forest. An experience to be lived.
Even today, lovers of the night, here are the places where have fun.
- Pfauengarten – Buddhabar – dance clubs / cocktail bars
- Kottulinsky – dance clubs
- Ppc (project pop culture) – is a local, important for its pop culture and its many events.
- Skybar Graz – you can taste the delicious cocktails and drinks on a beautiful panoramic terrace.
- Cohibar – a night of fun in Caribbean-Cuban style. The atmosphere is really fascinating!
- Casino Graz and Casineum – two casino
With this, today, we conclude our adventure in Graz. Stay tuned to find out what will be our next adventure.
Let us know your opinions about this place. If you liked it or not, if you’ve been there or you’re going to go there? What do you like least and what more? We are curious to read your opinions.
A big kiss to everyone.