Hello everyone. Today we will explore the city of Lelystad, located in a particular point in the Netherlands. Where? On an island! Now we will introduce it.
Lelystad is a city that is considered relatively “new” and it is located on the artificial island of Flevopolder in the Flevoland province. It is surrounded by several lakes (such as the IJsselmeer and the Markermeer, the best known) and offers a perfect blend of nature and city that attracts many visitors every year and that certainly will always attract more because the city is constantly development. Lelystad is easily accessible by sea and by land through a special highways, the Afsluitdijk. It is a dam that allows the ciculation of the car. What you will see will be just water around you, really a good thing for the eyes (for those who are not scared by it of course!). Its railway station also connects the city with Amsterdam and Zwolle (so easily accessible by train as well). A special mention must be made to the flag, symbol of the city since it includes its history and passion but also the hard work that people did to build the city.
To know more (to eat, what to eat, where to play, what to visit…) continue to read.
Our adventure starts from… now. Ready?
PLACES TO VISIT (MUSEUMS/THEATERS…)
- Nationaal Luchtvaart-Themapark Aviodrome (Aviodrome): is the largest aerospace museum in the Netherlands. It has three buildings in which there is a restaurant and a cinema, that transmits a specific movie about aerospace theme. In addition to the inside area (where you will also find space suits and remnants of planes), the museum has an outside area. There you can find several aircraft, including the De Uiver, where you can explore the inside. A whole world to explore!
- Bataviawerf: this is a museum where there are reconstructions of famous ships of the Dutch East India Company, one of many is the Batavia. It is possible visit the inside and know every little and great curiosity.
- Nieuw Land Erfgoedcentrum: this museum is not only focused on the aerospace side but also on the history of the city (on the island in particular). It is a perfect museum for all ages, as there is also a play area for the kids.
- ART Artstudio GERDA JONkER-Art Workshops: center all dedicated to art and painting that will make you personally participates in the realization of your works of art!
- Exposure: a very beautiful sculpture that represent a crouched and pensive man.
And the adventure continues in search of pleasant and funny things to do in town.
- Batavia Stad Fashion Outlet: the shopping street par excellence (located near the Bataviawerf area, the museum that we talked about earlier).
- Wooning Aviation: how about to get a ride in an helicopter and look down on the city? It is a very strong and beautiful experience.
- Naupar: if you don’t like the idea of flying, there is always the option of a peaceful boat trip on the city canals. At the center of the boat there is a bank full of refreshment and various drinks. Not bad, right?
- Bataviahaven Lelystad: a small port of the city. Perfect for a relaxing walk along the water.
- Zilverparkkade: a place with a modern architecture enclosed in a park and flanked by a small lake.
- Natuurpark Lelystad: in this park you can do everything: tours on the canals, cycling, hiking, walking and much more. It is a pleasant way to stay in close contact with the fauna and flora and admire it in all its beauty.
- Belevenissenbos: a fantastic adventure park full of trails and lots of fun. Warning: there is much to get dirty so better to have some extra clothes with you!
- Golfclub flevoland Lelystad
- Kartcentrum Lelystad: track for go-karts.
- Agora Theatre: the theater of the city. We suggest you to go there because its structure, internal part and external part, is too characteristic.
As for the nightlife, Lelystad hosts many events with music of all kinds. Even during the day, however, the fun does not stop thanks to the various festivals held in the city: Lelystad Airshow, the Water Festival, the National Old Timers Day, Lelystad Speedway, Architecture day and several sporting events.
Are you there guys? It is time for the typical dishes!
- Preischotel: it is a dish very similar to potato gateau, in which, with the potatoes are added leek, Dutch cheese and nutmeg.
- Pasta olandese: to the pasta is added smoked sausage, cabbage (sometimes also the red pepper), plus a mix of spices.
- Broodje knakworst: it is the Dutch version of the hot dog. The change, of course, consist in the type of sausage which in this case is typically Dutch. It is often used mustard on the top of the hot dog.
- Schokker moppen: typical regional biscuits.
- Vlierbessensiroop: elderberry syrup.
WHERE TO EAT (RESTAURANTS/CAFE’..)
Now we just have to find some good restaurants.
- Tasty Wok: Chinese, Japanese and Asian cuisine.
- Flantuas Restaurant
- Yuan: Chinese, vegetarian cuisine.
- Restaurant Monica & Winston: international cuisine.
- Las Tapas Lelystad: typical Spanish cuisine.
- Restaurant Sorrento: Italian, Mediterranean cuisine.
- Steak van de Keizer: Dutch, European, Argentinian, South American cuisine.
- Houtribhaven: international cuisine.
- APPLAUS: contemporary cuisine.
- Bistro Lelystad: French, international cuisine.
- Next Restaurant
- Bar Bistro La Route: typical French cuisine.
Unfortunately our tour in Lelystad is over but don’t worry because our journey in the Netherlands continues … you just have you to stay tuned.
Let us know your opinions about this place. If you liked it or not, if you have been or are you going to go? What did you like least and what more? We are curious to read your opinions.
A big kiss to everyone.
Below we will list the hotels that you can find in Lelystad.
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?city=-2148551&aid=960457 – hotels in the city.
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?iata=LEY&aid=960457 – hotels next to the airport.
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?landmark=516&aid=960457 – hotels next to the station.