Hello everyone. We are about to discover a new German city. Are you ready for a new adventure? Perfect, let’s start!
The city that will explore today will be Magdeburg, capital of Saxony-Anhalt. The city own the Elbe river and it is a pretty populous city. Famous not only for its great historical and artistic heritage but also for being one of the cities with more green areas. Its charm is due to the influence of the romantic art (if you’re fans of this genre, Magdeburg is definitely the place for you!).
To know more (what to eat, where to eat, where to have fun, things to visit…) continue to read.
We could spend hours and hours to present it but since time is never enough, we will Know it slowly, starting from the culture.
PLACES TO VISIT (MUSEUMS/THEATERS..)
- Magdeburger Dom: Cathedral of Magdeburg and the first building in Gothic style built in Germany. With its high towers is considered the symbol of the city. It’s a very charming structure, a great background for the city. Inside the cathedral there is the tomb of Otto von Guericke. He is a very present figure in the culture of Magdeburg, having been a great politician and scientist who supported the city during the difficult period of the Thirty Years War.
- Kloster Unser Lieben Frauen: this monastery (not far from Magdeburger Dom) is one of the most important examples of Roman culture in Germany. Outside the building there is a quaint courtyard and a cloister. Inside it hosts a monument dedicated to the students and teachers killed during the war. Today the monastery is a Kunstmuseum Kloster Unser Lieben Frauen, an art museum.
- Sankt-Johannis-Kirche: evangelical church situated in the old part of town. There is lots to visit, inside and outside, some examples are the two statues: Martin-Luther-Denkmal, Trauernde Magdeburg im Eingangsbereich on the outside and the work Zwillingstürme Eberhard von Oertel on the inside.
- Museum für Naturkunde Magdeburg: museum dedicated to paleontology and fossils with many collections, exhibits, botanical area, so much history. The structure also houses a library.
- Galerie Himmelreich: art gallery with several collections and exhibitions.
- Lukasklause: former military tower (which apparently might seem a castle), now houses the museum of Otto von Guericke. You will know many interesting facts about this character so famous here in Magdeburg and you will see also many demonstrations of various experiments but you will also know the historic events of the regional history. The museum is located in the old part of the city.
- Bastion Cleve: former fortress of Magdeburg, opened to the public. A very impressive place to be explore.
- Kiek in de Köken: Magdeburg tower. Today it used sporadically for some exhibitions.
- Schiffsmuseum: maritime museum. This is a museum located on the ancient Württemberg boat. This complex also has a restaurant. You can’t miss it!
Speaking about the theaters, the most famous are: Theater Magdeburg (that own a wide range of genres from classic to modern), Puppentheater Magdeburg (puppet theater) and in the end Theater an der Angel.
Going on with our tour, let’s see what we can do and see in Magdeburg.
- Jahrtausendturm: one of the most high wooden towers, located in the Elbauenpark. The latter is a large park in which you will find many attraction including: a small floating stage, sports area, a maze, gardens, restaurants, cafè… After this digression, let’s analyze the building. It consists of several floors and each floor has its own section dedicated to a specific historical period (Middle Ages, Renaissance…). Inside you will find scientific exhibitions (in which the visitor can also interact), historical artifacts, objects and important inventions, biology (with optical and sensory perception) and much more. The sixth floor is an observation point over the city. This is a really beautiful attraction, especially on the inside.
- Gruson-Gewächshäuser: botanical garden located in Schönebecker Strasse. The garden is home to more than three thousand plants and flowers of every kind. Annexed to that there is a vast aquarium, inside which there are several species of fish that come from the river Elbe.
- Zoologischer Garten Magdeburg: a place where you can stay in close contact with the fauna and flora of the place.
- Rotehornpark: the city’s largest urban park. The park is an attraction for many tourists, not only for its beauty and its attractions (lakes,track for skateboarding…) but also because in the summer is here that takes place the festival “Rock In City Park”.
- Herrenkrugpark: another urban park. It is located on the side of the Elbe river where there is the pedestrian bridge Herrenkrug Steg. The park has several sculptures and a dining areas, as well as the great vastness of vegetation.
- Klosterbergegarten: urban park located in the Buckau district (always next to the banks of the Elbe river). The park has a beautiful garden that is worth admiring!
- Nordpark: park located in the old part of the city (we had warned you of the great vastness of the green area around the city). A particular thing is its blue lawn. The blue color is due to the presence of the beautiful flowers of this color that give the magnificent effect.
- Die Grüne Zitadelle (green citadel): is a building designed by Friedensreich Hundertwasser. Unlike as the name says, it is an inhabited building all in pink color and looks very original. On the ground floor, in the courtyard, there are some shops, a café and a restaurant. On the upper floors there are: apartments, a hotel and a theater. Think that it is such a quaint place that is worth to see the bathrooms inside the locals as well (even if it is not urgent, go for it!).
- If you like to walk around the city, the choice is very wide. You may prefer to stroll along the banks of the Elbe and the street next to the river is: Elbtreppen Magdeburg or the place where there is the Arbeiterfahne (the cycle path along the river). If that’s not enough, or doesn’t like you, some main streets, shopping streets and shopping centers (Magdeburg is a perfect place for those who love fashion) of the city are: Allee-Center, City Carré, Karstadt. Wandering through the streets you will see lost of statues, including the “knight of Magdeburg“.
- Straße der Romanik: is a tourist itinerary entirely dedicated to the most important monuments of Romanesque age of Magdeburg.
- Magdeburger Wasserfall: is a small “waterfall” very nice to see. It is part of the Elbe river and it is located in the Cracau district.
It’s time to leave the space to the nightlife. Ready to know the places where to party?
- Prinzzclub: nightclub.
- Nachtcafe La notte: cafè.
- Geheimclub: nightclub.
- Musikkneipe Flowerpower: pub.
- First Club Magdeburg
- SC Baracke: nightclub.
- CinemaxX Magdeburg
Next to the Hasselbachplatz square, just near the center, you will find lots of clubs, cafes, restaurants. Twice a year, in this place is held the Hassel Night Line, an outdoor party with live music (many are the festivals that take place in city such as: Sommer-Open-Air, Magdeburger Frühjahrsmesse…).
Let’s get lost into the flavors of the city, knowing the typical dishes of Magdeburg.
- Gehacktesstippe: it is a dish made of minced meat, dipped in the sauce and accompanied by potatoes.
- Pottsuse: it is a specialty of the city. It’s a spreadable food made of pork, lard and spices.
- Harzer lamm in buttermilch: is a dish made of lamb that is done marinating in buttermilk (a transformation of cream into butter) and then it is cooked.
- Salzwedel baumkuchen: a typical dessert made up of various layers, from which it takes the name of “tree cake” (it should remind a tree). The exterior is covered with chocolate. Its preparation is not simple as it requires the use of a roaster.
- Streuselkuchen: it is a sweet similar to the crumble pie. The interior can be filled with vanilla cream or with some fruit… Both the variant don’t change its nice taste!
WHERE TO EAT (RESTAURANTS/CAFE’..)
As a last step, we just have to know where you can taste some local (but also not local) dishes in the city.
- Selma & Rudolph: German cuisine.
- ALEX Magdeburg: German, international, European cuisine.
- Indian Palace – Restaurant: Indian, vegetarian and vegan cuisine.
- Bralo House: steakhouse with German, European cuisine.
- Berner & Brown: Spanish cuisine.
- Cafe Hadrys: cafè with German, international, Mediterranean cuisine.
- Cafe Alt-Magdeburg: cafè with German cuisine.
Our journey in the city of Magdeburg is over but we still have a few other cities in Germany to explore. Just a moment to rest and then to the road again for a new adventure with you all!
Let us know your opinions about this place. If you liked it or not, if you’ve been there or you’re going to go there? What you liked the most or least? We’re curious to read your opinions.
A big kiss to everyone.
Below we will list the accommodations that you can find in Potsdam.
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?iata=ZMG&aid=960457&no_rooms=1&group_adults=1– accommodation near the airport.
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?city=-1822294&aid=960457&no_rooms=1&group_adults=1 – accommodation in the city.
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?landmark=1916&aid=960457&no_rooms=1&group_adults=1 – accommodation next to the central station.