Hello everyone and welcome to the cuisine section of our site. What we are going to do today is to try to replicate two typical recipes of Switzerland.
We can’t wait to hear what’s on today’s menu! If you are ready, let’s get started right away.
Let’s start with the Rosti. This is one of the most famous dishes of Swiss cuisine, it is a potato-based pie with a crispy crust. Each city has its own variant. In the past it was served for breakfast to the farmers of German-speaking Switzerland, today it is offered as a side dish.
After this brief introduction, let’s see how to prepare this dish.
The ingredients we need are:
- 600 g of yellow-fleshed potatoes
- 100 g of speck
- 50 g of flour
- seed oil
Now let’s see the procedure.
1. Peel the raw potatoes and cut them into julienne strips with a grater with fairly large holes.
2. Add the previously chopped speck and the two tablespoons of flour. Then add salt, pepper and marjoram.
3. Mix all this well with your hands so that the flour can absorb the starch released by the potatoes.
4. Now start making balls with your hands and then mash into small pieces of pizzas about 1 cm thick.
5. Now you just have to fry the Rosti in a non-stick pan with a little oil previously heated. The Rosti must be cooked for 4 minutes per side.
6. Once golden on both sides, lift them making them drain well from the oil.
7. Place the Rosti on a serving tray and serve them still hot.
The dish is ready!
The second typical food that we are going to prepare is Zuger Kirschtorte. This dessert is prepared by soaking the sponge cake in kirsch (cherry liqueur) which will then be placed on two very crumbly discs with cream. Around it is adorned with hazelnuts and on the surface with icing sugar. Don’t worry, in a bit we will see everything in detail.
But first, let’s see what ingredients we need.
For the meringue:
- 3 egg whites
- 100 g of sugar
- 100 g of chopped almonds
- 20 g of flour
For the sponge cake:
- 4 separate eggs
- 100 g of sugar
- zest of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 100 g of flour
- 20 g of corn starch
For the cream:
- 30 g of corn starch
- 250 ml of milk
- 75 g of sugar
- 200 g of butter, room temperature
- 1 shot of kirsch (cherry liqueur)
- A few drops of red food coloring
For the syrup:
- 125 ml of water
- 100 g of sugar
- 1 shot of kirsch
For the garnish:
- powdered sugar
- flaked almonds
Now it’s time to get our hands dirty! Let’s see the procedure.
1. On some parchment paper, draw two circles of 24 cm.
2. Take a large bowl and an electric mixer. Start beating the egg whites. Once they are frothy, add about half of the sugar a little at a time. Continue with the mixer until the mixture is thicker.
3. In another bowl put the other half of the sugar, add the almonds and the flour. Mix everything and pour into the bowl where we whipped the egg whites.
4. Now with the help of a pastry bag with a double tip, squeeze the mixture onto the previously prepared discs following the pattern. Starting with a small circle and slowly turning around it until it widens.
5. With the oven previously heated, cook the mixture for about 20 minutes (approximate time according to your oven) at 150 degrees. The meringue must be dry. At that point it will be ready.
Sponge cake procedure
1. Line the bottom of a 24 cm springform pan with parchment paper and lightly grease the sides.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest, salt and vanilla.
3. Sift the flour and cornstarch, then mix everything gently, using a spatula.
4. Use a large bowl and an electric mixer to whisk the egg whites until stiff. Now incorporate them to the dough.
5. Now bring the preparation into a pan.
6. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the cake has started peeling off the sides.
7. Allow to cool completely, remove from the pan and set aside.
Procedure for the cream
1. In a medium bowl, whisk the cornstarch into the cold milk. Then stir in the sugar.
2. Begin to heat the mixture over medium heat until it comes to a boil and let it cook for a couple of minutes, or until it thickens.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
4. In a large bowl, melt the butter until soft. Add the cooled mixture but do it a little at a time. Mix well.
5. Add a small glass of kirsch and a drop of red food coloring.
Procedure for the syrup
1. In a small bowl, whisk the sugar into the water. Bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes.
2. Remove from the heat and add a glass of kirsch.
And now we just have to assemble everything and make our cake come to life.
It’s all a matter of layers.
- First thing, lay the meringue layer on the bottom.
- Spread the cream on top.
- Place the sponge cake on top.
- Wet the top with the kirsch syrup.
- Spread more cream on top.
- Put the other part of the meringue in it.
- Cover again with the cream but this time also well distributed on the sides.
- Now you just have to garnish the side parts with the almonds by applying a little pressure to make them adhere.
- In the end sprinkle an even layer of icing sugar on the surface and form diagonal strips using the back of the knife.
Et voilà your dessert is ready!
Let us know your thoughts on this recipe. If you liked it or not, if you already knew it or if you have recreated it or you would like to. We are curious to read your opinions.
A big kiss to everyone.