Hello everybody. How about going to discover an other Belgian city? So, let’s see which one we are going to talk about.
Wavre is a municipality located in the province of Walloon Brabant, of which it is the capital. This city is located in the Dyle valley and the language spoken by the inhabitants (called Wavriens or even Wavriennes in French) is mainly French. Wavre is also known as the “city of Maca”, referring to statue of a child trying to climb the wall of the town hall. Tradition holds that if you touch the back of the statue (yes,you read right!) it will bring you a year of luck; one more reason to go every year in Wavre and renew a year of luck. What do you think it will work every year??
To know more (to eat, what to eat, where to have fun, acculturate …) continue to read.
Now let’s see together what dishes the city offers.
The Wallonia cuisine (as we already seen exploring Namur) derived from the French cusine; however, it tends to be more spicy and caloric. The main meal is the lunch. Often the lunch consists of a pork dish or potato or salad with mayonnaise. The Breakfast and the dinner are lighter meals and often at dinner is eaten cheese as the regional cheese, makèye, served on slices of bread. The soups are popular as well, they are eaten at lunch or even at dinner. It will be easy to find the Ardennes cured meats and as for the desserts you can find the famous macarons. A consumed drink, especially during the afternoon breaks, is the coffee. It is usually accompanied by a piece of pie. Don’t forget about the fundamental drink, the beer (Orval, Chimay and Rochefort).
WHERE TO EAT (RESTAURANTS/CAFE’..)
Have you got the notebook with you? Because it’s time to take note of the places where we can enjoy a great meal.
- Le Diable au Thym – French cuisine.
- La Table de Templiers – French, Belgian, European cuisine.
- L’Epi Gourmet – French cuisine.
- Tendance Delices – Belgian, international, European, Spanish, Fusion cuisine.
- Le Resto des Halles – Wine Bar, typical French cuisine.
- GangNam – typical Japanese , Asian, Korean cuisine.
- Eat It – typical Italian cuisine.
- Tartineke – French, Belgian, European, Contemporary cuisine.
- Sweety Cup – bar and pastry shop.
PLACES TO VISIT (MUSEUMS/THEATERS..)
Despite there aren’t lots of monuments to vsit (after all, is the quality that counts, not the quantity!), it doesn’t mean that the city of Wavre is less important and has a short story, it is the opposite. This is only a facade but surely in every city there is always something hidden to be discovered.
- Church of St John the Baptist – Gothic church, located at the center of the city. The main tower houses a 50 bell carillon.
- The city hall is located in the former Carmelite church and it has a courtyard too.
- Basilique Notre-Dame de Basse-Wavre – this Basilica is a centre of pilgrimage for Roman Catholics.
Let’s find out where to relax our tired minds for some hours.
- Walibi park – is the largest amusement park of Belgium, center of attraction for over 1,000,000 tourists a year. It is known also as the best theme park in Europe and is located to the west of the city center.
- Aventure Parc Wavre – is considered the biggest adventure park in Belgium.
- Golf du Chateau de la Bawette – golf course with streams, lakes and some trails for a relaxing atmosphere.
- Rue de la Source in Wavre – there’s nothing better than a fantastic tour in the center of the city through the characteristic and colorful alleys surrounded by some shops.
Curiosity:during the carnival you can watch the parade of different wagons and giants and every five years (who knows maybe this year could be the right one) take place medieval games, that will let you know the historical events (an original way to learn the history of the city!). These games include dialogues and dances where can participate the entire audience.
Where to go to have a nice night?? Here’s the answer.
- Citizen Kane – café.
- Borsalino Wavre – night club.
- Les Plaisirs de la Figuière – local.
- Brasseries Maxime
Even today our visit to Wavre is over but other Belgian cities are waiting for us, so stay tuned to find out what will be our next destination.
Let us know your opinions about this place. If you liked it or not, if you have been or are you going to go? What did you like least and what more? We are curious to read your opinions.
A big kiss to everyone.